Saturday, December 23, 2006

Wee Fish Ewe...

...a Merry end of the Winter seasonal holiday of choice!

We have been enjoying (the royal we, that is) the start of my time off from college teaching (five months of pure bliss!). We started by watching Tom Jones in Las Vegas-- oh yeah, it's not unusual! Was great fun. Sorry not much on the blogside, but I'll try to get back into it after this coming Sunday.

It's not that I muchly celebrate Christmas anymore-- I'm not a Catholic, much less a Christian anymore (all of you out there like me, raise your hands! I thought so...). However, my SO is UCC/Episcopalianish, so I don't mind doing some stuff up. Besides, I think about it this way-- I can really dig Jesus' message, I just cannot dig what humans have warped it into to fit nefarious plans.

In some way, this is a lot like the modern political process. You have a few good people willing to do the dirty work of governance, and you have a whole lot more, apparently, willing to make a ton of cash off of politics to further their own semi-inbred family legacy. Now, given that I don't have many political aspirations myself (But I think I'd make someone a good speech writer!), this is Monday-morning quarterbacking, but still and all I think the analysis is correct. Moreover, I think the analogy of religion and politics as potential tools for evil is apt.

Here's the kicker-- in a country like ours, where the banners of religion and politics are raised high, who can untangle the true meaning of both--usually noble-- endeavors from the machinations of Men (and I do mean men...)?

..and a Happy New Year!

No comments: